7 replies to this topic

#1 Jill Whalen

Jill Whalen

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

POPULAR

SEOs are always seeming to want to run link reports to see who's linking to them. But to me, the best links are those that actually bring visitors to your site. (Even better if they're targeted visitors.)

In light of that, I created this custom report to show all your content that's getting referral traffic (which typically means from a link). Basically, you can click on any landing page from your site to see exactly where the link came from! There may be a way to see similar information via some GA standard reporting, but I couldn't quite get it this way.

What you'll first see is all your site's pages that get referral traffic:

Posted Image

From there, you can click on any of your content URLs and see all the links out there that people have clicked on:

Posted Image

I didn't do it in this report, but you may want to also filter out t.co referrer links and other social media links that aren't really links in the traditional sense. Same with email links.

It's a pretty simple custom report, but I think it provides some great info. All you have to do is set up your custom report like this:

Posted Image

Or simply click this link:
Who's Linking to Your Content

To exclude all social media use this custom report with something like the Advanced Segment for all social media except change it from "Include" to "exclude"! Here's a link to add this to your advanced segments:

Remove All Social Media Advanced Segment

#2 William Rock

William Rock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

POPULAR

Great Post, and then you can define if they converted into a sale and that is even better.

#3 Tim Leighton-Boyce

Tim Leighton-Boyce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

POPULAR

Great report, thanks.

I would add one extra drill down dimension. The reason for this is so that I can 'drill' in to each of the full referrals in order that the chart at the top gives me an at-a-glance view of 'when' the clicks took place.

The data for the extra dimension is a secondary benefit, so I wasn't too picky about which one I chose. In my case I went for 'region' because I'm particularly interested in visitors from my own part of the world.

Tim

#4 Shaun Myandee

Shaun Myandee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

Hi Jill,

Love the idea for this report, I've put it into use one of my profiles already. But I've sort of run with the idea a little and added a couple more metrics that, I think, add another layer of usefulness.

2012-04-18_1055.png

Basically all I've done is add some site engagement stats (bounce rate and time on site), as well as another metric group to show goal conversions, which I think helps to see not only who is linking to you, but which of those links is actually giving you some real benefits to your business/your client.

Love to hear what you think.

#5 Jill Whalen

Jill Whalen

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

Hi Shaun,

It sounds great! Please share the link!

#6 Shaun Myandee

Shaun Myandee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Oops, forgot to add that :P

Who's Linking + engagement & value. Click to install my slightly tweaked version :)

Edited by Jill Whalen, 18 April 2012 - 02:14 PM.
Edited anchor text so I identify outbound clicks :)

#7 Michael Wiegand

Michael Wiegand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

This report is fantastic. Adding another filter to it to just separate landing pages on your blog is another cool way to use it:

Posted Image

Download it here:
https://www.google.c...cR2mcXreZm_a8NA

#8 Angelwitch

Angelwitch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

very useful custom report! thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users